Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Journey to the left coast. . .

Fortunately for me and my waistline, James and I did not live in rural Maryland for very long.  We were only there 4 months until we packed up and headed west to our new home in California.  James had served his time at Arlington National Cemetery and was starting school in the fall to begin his degree in wine making and brewing.  I quit my job and was excited to begin our lives in a new place.

I may have implied in previous posts that my palate was exceptionally narrow but after living in Missouri, New Orleans, Italy, Phoenix and Washington DC my palate had become incredibly diverse.  So now that I was without work and trying to save money  by cooking at home in our new luxuriously sized California apartment (with equally luxuriously sized kitchen) I started to crave those things that I normally got in a restaurant and had no belief in my ability to make. 

The Vietnamese dish Pho (pronounced fu as in the first two letters of the really bad word) had become a staple of eating out for my husband and I.  One of our favorite restaurants in Arlington was Pho 75 which just served the same dish 75 different ways and after not eating it for several months I couldn't take it anymore.  I found a simple recipe in one of my sisters' magazines and immediately set out to try making my own version. 

This was the beginning of my confidence really building in my cooking - the Pho turned out perfect and tasted just like the restaurant!  I had satiated my craving and cooked something that was completely out of my comfort zone.  Needless to say I was pretty impressed with myself and vowed from then-on-out I would never be scared away from cooking anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment