Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Safe and Clean Household Environment

So I've been thinking about this for a while and just recently started to research it.  I constantly look at what's in my food and make sure there are no synthetic unpronounceable items in it - and if so it goes directly to the banned list of products.  Why then, have I not moved this household philosophy further?  Laziness or lack of research could be to blame but it could also be and most likely is my OCD.  I am a germ clean-freak and I bleach everything.  I like my house to smell good with scented candles when I walk in the door and I love cleaning products that make me feel like I'm killing all those microscopic germs (not to mention I love bleaching my whites and making them look like new).

  Bleach is horrible stuff, I've known that for a while.  I use it in abundance for cleaning the bathroom, kitchen, dishes and the laundry.  I've even given myself migraines (coming from the chlorine gas) for over using it but relished in the fact that I killed all those nasty viruses and germs in my house.  There's a better way, though, and it kills just as much germs, still makes the house smell clean (kills odors) and is just fine with the environment because it is a naturally occurring substance - H2O2 or commonly known as hydrogen peroxide.  It's cheaper, non-toxic and just as efficient.

  It can be bought in two strengths - the usual 3% solution at your pharmacy or a higher "food grade" strength of 35% at your local health food store or drug store.  H2O2 is much better for those people on a tight budget as well because it costs pennies on the dollar of all those pricey name brand cleaners and works just as well if not better!

Some helpful tips on how to use hydrogen peroxide:
  - Store out of sunlight and in a well marked preferably dark bottle (this helps it not revert back to oxygen gas and water)
  - Toothbrushes can be dipped in the 3% solution to de-germ and then used after well rinsed.  A solution of 1 tbsp H2O2 to 1 cup of water can be used for mouthwash and this will whiten teeth over time and kill bad bacteria (much cheaper than Listerine). 
  - Counter tops, cutting boards, sinks, door handles or any non-porous hard surface can be sprayed with equal parts 3% H2O2 to water in order to disinfect and clean.  This same solution will also help remove toilet stains and bad bacteria.
  - Just as with bleach in laundry, one cup of 3% solution to a load of whites will keep your whites white! :-)
  - Use the 3% solution to remove blood, red wine stains etc on carpet and it won't bleach the fibers.
  - Of course it always works well to disinfect cuts and bug bites!

  This blog post may not pertain to how you cook and prepare food but the object of this blog is to help you live a healthier less toxic life and this is a great step to take to save you money and help out the environment! 

No comments:

Post a Comment